At the international exhibition CES Consumer Electronics Show 2017, held in early January in Las Vegas USA , Sony introduced some interesting new products, significantly expanding its television lineup.
BRAVIA OLED TVs
Sony is expanding its range of 4K HDR models with the launch of OLED TVs with 4K HDR support under the “BRAVIA OLED” brand. The A1 Series models offer a whole new level of viewing experience through a combination of a high-quality OLED display, the X1™ Extreme processor, a unique speaker system in large screen televisions*1 and a modern, original form factor.
A1 Series TVs use an OLED display with more than 8 million self-luminous pixels. It provides amazingly realistic color reproduction including unprecedented deep black and a wide viewing angle. The X1 Extreme processor controls a huge array of pixels with high precision and extends the capabilities of the OLED display, improving 4K HDR image transfer.
BRAVIA OLED A1-series are the first TVs in Sony’s large-screen range to emit sound from the screen itself, not from the speakers. Taking advantage of the OLED display design, Sony has developed a new acoustic technology Acoustic Surface™, in which sound is transmitted by the entire plane of the screen.
Power drives, located on the back of the TV and causing sound vibrations, broadcast sound through the entire surface of the screen, and the transmission of bass frequencies is supported by a subwoofer built into the stand. So the picture and the sound are perceived as one, which is unattainable in conventional televisions. OLED technology also delivers the widest viewing angle so you can enjoy great pictures from anywhere in your room.
In addition, Acoustic Surface technology has done away with the usual contouring of the speakers and applied advanced design solutions. The result is a unique form factor without the usual TV stand.
4K HDR TVs from the XE94 and XE93 series
The X1™ Extreme 4K HDR processor used in Sony’s 2016 Z-Series flagship TVs was praised for its excellent ability to reproduce realistic images with superior texture, depth, color and contrast. In 2017, the X1 Extreme’s 4K HDR processor will be used in more models and, making it available to an even wider audience of consumers.
The new XE93 series, along with the X1 Extreme processor, features Slim Backlight Drive technology+. Better LED backlighting for more precise control over local dimming compared to Slim Backlight Drive . The special structure of the light panels of the LED backlighting system and X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO technology, responsible for local dimming or enhancing the backlight, ensures the highest brightness and exceptional image contrast. In fact, compared to conventional LCD televisions, the XE93 series has ten times the contrast XDR Contrast .
The new XE94/X93 models feature an ingenious system for concealed cable management inside the stand. So they’re invisible no matter which way you look at your TV. The wiring on the back of the TV is hidden behind a stylish panel made of high-quality plastic with a mesh pattern.
Individual panel elements are easily removable for quick access to connectors and external devices. This design approach strikes a compromise between style and function – the TV looks good whichever way you look at it, while providing all connectivity options.
For wall mounting of XE93/XE94 series TVs, a special swivel bracket has been developed that allows you to change the angle of the TV screen to easily reach the connectors when needed.
In 2017, Sony will also introduce several series of televisions with 4K HDR support and completely revamp its lineup of Full HDR televisions. Details about these lineups will be announced later.
The new Sony BRAVIA TV series XE93/XE94 and A1 also support Dolby Vision™, an HDR format developed by Dolby Laboratories.
BraviaXE93 OLED A1 Series
– 77″, 65″ and 55″ screen size, 4K HDR and Android TV support
– OLED matrix – 8 million self-luminous pixels provide more realistic color reproduction including unprecedented deep black without blurring, and the widest viewing angle.
– Acoustic Surface Technology – high quality sound is emitted from the screen itself and throughout the screen. Picture and sound are seamlessly integrated
– The 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme delivers amazing picture quality with three new technologies: HDR Object-based HDR remastering, Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR, and Dual database processing
– TRILUMINOS™ Display further enhances brightness and color accuracy.
– With the powerful 4K X-Reality Pro image processor, every pixel is carefully processed to improve picture quality. Individual areas of each frame are analyzed and compared to a special database, and texture, contrast, color and contour enhancements are made independently of each other. The result is an incredibly realistic, on-screen viewing experience
– The advanced construction and design of the new BRAVIA OLEDs impresses at first sight. The Acoustic Surface technology made it possible to refuse from the usual arrangement of speakers along the contour of the case and apply advanced design solutions. The result is a unique form factor without the usual TV stand.
– The Android TV™ platform immerses you in a world of movies, music, photos, games and gives you access to a huge number of apps you can download to your TV, just like you used to do on your mobile device. Voice Search lets you find and control your TV quickly. With Chrome Cast built-in, you can easily stream content from your smartphone or tablet with a tap. Google Play™ access lets you play your favorite games, watch movies and do apps on your big screen TV.
– With Sony’s exclusive Content Bar interface, you can quickly find the content you want without taking your eyes off the TV.
– HDR support lets you receive and play back video from online video services and devices,
connected via HDMI and USB cables, with improved brightness, contrast and color reproduction. BRAVIA OLED A1 Series TVs also support Dolby Vision HDR.
4K HDR TVs XE94/XE93 series
– Screen size 75″ XE94, 65″ and 55″ in XE93
– Slim Backlight Drive+ gives you more precise control over local dimming. Thanks to the special structure of the light panels of the LED end system provides the highest brightness and exceptional contrast only in the XE93 series . XE94 Full-array LED backlight matrix system.
– 4K HDR Processor X1™ Extreme delivers impressive picture quality with three new technologies: HDR object-based HDR remastering, Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR and Dual database processing
– X-tended Dynamic Range PRO technology improves video quality in various formats, including HDR, by adjusting the brightness of the backlighting in some areas of the screen based on a unique algorithm XDR Contrast 10 times higher than conventional LCD TVs .
– TRILUMINOS™ Display technology further enhances brightness and accurate color reproduction.
– With the powerful 4K X-Reality Pro image processor, every pixel is carefully processed to improve image quality. Individual areas of each frame are analyzed and matched against a special database, then texture, contrast, color and contour enhancements are made independently of each other. The result is incredibly realistic details on the TV screen
– The Android TV™ platform immerses you in a world of movies, music, photos, games and gives you access to a huge number of apps you can download to your TV, just like you used to do on your mobile device. Voice Search to help you find and control your TV quickly. With Chrome Cast built-in you can easily stream content from your smartphone or tablet with a single tap. Access to Google Play™ lets you play your favorite games, watch movies and work with applications on your big screen TV.
– With Sony’s exclusive Content Bar interface, you can quickly find the content you want without taking your eyes off the telly.
– HDR support lets you receive and play back video from online video services and devices connected via HDMI and USB cables with improved brightness, contrast and color reproduction. These models also support Dolby Vision HDR.